Tuesday, April 7, 2009

5 Steps - 15 Minutes to Get Organized and Move Forward

I have been struggling with my work of late and it has melted down into almost complete disorganization over the last few weeks. I tend to multi task to the ultimate degree and I have just about shot myself in the foot this time. Inventory is everywhere and I am frozen in my tracks as to where to pick up and go forward.

The crowning touch was a hard drive failure on the laptop that I used for my everyday doings. I had been lax about doing a back up and lost almost two months of pictures, research, class notes and references from various online classes and lord know what else.

My new laptop, an Acer Aspire 6930, came equipped with Windows Vista which I do not like at all. I am slowly learning my way around it but I really did not need one more thing to do.

My agenda for the coming days will be these 5 steps:

5 Steps - 15 Minutes to Get Organized and Move Forward
  1. List the tasks to be done in order of importance - this does NOT have to be perfect. You can change the order as you go along if necessary.
  2. Select the most important item of each task - again - we're not looking for perfection here just a place to start.
  3. Set a timer for 15 minutes and work as fast as you can on the first task - stop when the timer goes off
  4. Continue with each task working for only 15 minutes on the most important part of each.
  5. Reward yourself and do something creative for 15 minutes

Rinse and repeat ..... it is surprising how much you can get done in 15 minutes and the object of the exercise is to get started and get motivated to move forward again.





No comments:

Post a Comment